Picture this: An airplane in the middle of its boarding process, your kids are already super bored, perhaps they started fighting as well, and nearby passengers are already exchanging looks with each other thinking “am I going to survive these next 10 hours?”.
What’s worse is the in-flight entertainment hasn’t been turned on yet, and headphones are usually first given out after the plane has taken off and reached cruising altitude. I know this from personal experience…
So what’s the best way to avoid this scenario from even happening? Bring a set of headphones for your kids! That way you don’t have to wait for cabin crew to hand them out, and combined with a tablet or even a smartphone, your kids will have entertainment for hours on end. Sometimes the headphones handed out by cabin crew won’t even fit your kids anyway, and the sound quality is always super bad (unless you’re travelling on Business/First Class – but let’s be honest, it’s only .01% who can afford it).
In this buying guide we’ll take a closer look at your options to ensure a hassle-free flight full of relaxation and joy for both adults and kids.
What distinguishes headphones for kids and those suitable for adults is their size. Well-fitting headphones for kids have to be a smaller size. This way, they will be comfortable, lightweight, and produce excellent sound quality. In contrast, you’ll struggle to readjust headphones that are too big. And, the kids may not have the patience to let you do so.
As parents or guardians, we always strive for a quiet environment for our loved ones. And kids have sensitive ears. Headphones with high pitches or blasting volume limits can potentially damage their growing ears. Now, most manufacturers say their headphones are ‘safe for young ears’. But how do you know for sure?
You can now enjoy safe listening when traveling. For, it is about restricting the amount and duration of high sound to a child. Hence, pick an ideal headphone for kids with a volume limit of between 85db and 90db. Then, if you use it at this peak volume, limit its usage to a few hours daily.
Tip: Some smartphones and tables have built-in options to limit the maximum volume, making it impossible for kids to turn the volume higher than the limit set by you.
Now, are you traveling with toddlers or more than one child? Do you know how they exchange seats or use the washroom several times? For convenience, opt for premium quality wireless headphones. They use Bluetooth to connect to your iPad or Smartphone. Other wireless headphones retail with a backup cord in case you’ll need to use it.
With no cables to unwind, you can handle your kids for the extended hours with ease. Besides, it leaves the youngster free to do other motor activities. Still, ensure you recharge your headphones before you embark on your flight. For, they use batteries with limited life.
Do your children get anxious when you travel? Often, the hustle and bustle of traveling are too much for the little kids to handle. The security checks to the rumbling of an airplane taking off or landing. In such instances, you need a way to cut down all these background noises.
Hence, opt for a pair of headphones that have a noise cancellation feature. Then, watch your children listening to their favorite tunes that take them to a happier place. This way, they will not notice the number of hours passing by. These headphones are fit for kids with auditory processing difficulties.
Note that, noise-cancelling headphones retail-like medical aids equipment. Hence, you’ll get them at a premium.
Aesthetics With Tough Design
Finally, any product for kids must have the right appeal. In this regard, opt for headphones in bright colors. Other models feature popular cartoon characters that kids adore. Also, be careful in picking colors that appeal to either boys or girls.
Kids can be clumsy. In turn, the headphones’ should be of capable style. This way, they will withstand any poor handling. Indeed, any product for kids can only last for longer when it has the kids in mind.
Also, remember that kids are growing. Hence, you may need to replace the headphones even when they are still in good shape. So, pick affordable headphones for your growing child.
Our Top Picks
Puro Sound Labs JuniorJams Volume Limited Headphones
- Durable and lightweight
- Cool design
- Head cups fold for easy storage
Puro Sound Labs has kids headphones in smart designs and pricing. Their robust styles are comfortable, aesthetic and provide the best safe listening exploit. They use volume-limited skills with ample accessories. The recent release of the JuniorJams series aims at preventing Noise-Induced Hearing Loss. Here are its traits:
- 85db volume-limiting cable
- Bluetooth v4.0
- On-ear fit
- 22 hours of battery life
- 260 hours standby
- 3.5 mm auxiliary audio-limiter cable for optional corded connection
- Soft carry case
What We Like
- A durable, lightweight, attractive design, easy to use
- Uses a smooth sliding adjustment for a perfect fit
- Safe listening for up to 8 hours a day
- Delivers crisp sounds
- Daisy Chain technology for connecting two headsets to one audio source
- Ample padding with comfortable ear cups
- Foldable ear cups for ease of travel
- Wireless range of up to 30 feet
- Extended battery life
- Compatible with iPads, iPhones and Androids
LilGadgets Untangled PRO
- Lots of bright colors available
- Earpads have soft breathable mesh
- Easy to adjust
LilGadgets Kids is a voice limiting headphone with lots of intuitive features, at a reasonable price. This bright-colored, Bluetooth-enabled headset uses a built-in SharePort that allows for audio sharing between kids. Hence, it is an exceptional choice for families traveling with more than one child.
- 93 dB integrated voice limiter
- 48” 3.5mm AUX nylon audio cable
- Earpads with SoftTouch breathable mesh
- Includes a USB charging cable and a Microfiber travel pouch
What We Like
- Excellent with two or more kids – they can have a color each!
- The stainless steel frame can endure rough handling
- Compatible with most Bluetooth devices
- Can adjust to fit various kid head sizes
- Ample padding and mesh for comfort
- Great value for your money
Useful Tips About Headphones for Kids on Airplane
- Get headphones whose headband fit well with comfy ear cushions.
- Ensure the headphones have a full charge before you set off.
- Lightweight headsets are much more comfortable for your kids.
- Opt for a separate protective pack for your headset when traveling. It is easier to keep it safe and within rich from your carry-on bag.
- Foldable headphones minimize space when traveling.
- Insist on wireless headphones with a backup cord. Use this cord when your Bluetooth connection is unstable.
Traveling ought to be a fun experience for your young ones. Hence, expect any discomfort along the way and plan to arrest it. The best headphones for kids on airplanes are one such handy gadgets. They are your guarantee that your kids’ ears are safe from loud, distractive sounds. It also keeps your kids entertained all the way.