The 5 Best Tents for Full Time Living
Tents are commonly used for full time living by a lot of people all over the world, and this “nomadic” lifestyle is getting more and more popular among those seeking to get back in touch with nature and rid themselves of unnecessary distractions.
Downsizing and tiny living are among the hottest trends right now, as more and more people decide to get off the hustle and bustle, and go back to basics.
If you’re seeking a simpler life with a better connection to the nature, a large tent of a proper quality is a great choice.
Tents are easy to handle and require little to no maintenance, and you can basically set it up anywhere. Some even come with a stove jack, so you can stay warm and cook your food inside your tent.
In this buying guide we’ve taken a closer look at some of the best tents for those wanting to live in it full time, so make sure you read to the end and get all the insights you’ll need to get started on a journey towards a decluttered lifestyle.
Our Top Picks
In order to find the best tents for full time living, we’ve based our research and reviews on the following criteria:
- Ease of use
Below are the best tents at the moment:
White Duck Regatta Bell Tent
- Perfect for ‘glamping’
- Breathable and waterproof canvas
- Spacious yurt style tent
- Has a bug mesh in front of the door
The White Duck Regatta Bell Tent is a superb yurt style tent, that comes in different sizes and fits from 3 persons and up to 9 persons, depending on the size chosen. Its rounded shape gives it a nice and spacious feeling, and the canvas is angled in a way that most snow will fall off. You still have to clean off any built-up snow from time to time, but it will take a large load of snow before it starts caving in.
There’s a heavy-duty groundsheet sewn into the tent, with the area underneath the stove being able to zip away for added safety.
If you’re embracing the idea of living full time in a tent, the White Duck Regatta Bell Tent is probably one of the most beautiful options you’ll come across.
- Canvas made of 100% cotton
- Waterproof, breathable, mildew and UV resistant
- Heavy-duty groundsheet made of polyethylene
- 5″ stove jack opening with heatproof weather flap
- 4 vents can provide proper airflow
- 2’7″ wall height
- 7’6″ center height
- 10′ wide
- Available in 3, 6 or 8 person sizes
- 2-layered windows and doors with bug mesh
What we like
- Beautiful design inside and out
- Vents allow for a good airflow on hot summerdays
- Windows and doors have an additional layer consisting of a bug mesh
- Nice and big space in the center of the tent
- Perfectly able to accommodate you full time
- Nice glamping experience
- Can be decorated and used in a garden
Core Instant Cabin Tent
- Internal room divider
- 78-inch center height
- Quick and easy setup
- Fits two queen air mattresses
The Core Instant Cabin Tent is super easy to set up, and can be done in a matter of minutes. This is especially useful if you enjoy the nomadic lifestyle, and want to set up your tent anywhere without wasting a ton of time.
There’s room for up to 9 people inside the Core Instant Cabin Tent, but for full time living it’s recommended to stay a maximum of 2-3 persons, in order to have a bit of free space for your personal belongings.
One feature that may come in handy for those living in the tent full time, is the ability to divide the internal space into two separate rooms. This gives you the feeling of having a separate bedroom and living room, instead of just one big room.
- 60-second setup – telescopic poles come preinstalled
- Has an internal room divider
- Access port for electrical cords
- Dimensions 14 by 9 feet
- 78-inch center height
- Fits up to two queen-size air mattresses
- Bug mesh on all openings
- Rainfly is removable and inner ceiling panels are made of bug mesh
- Weighs only 30.5 pounds
What we like
- Ample space for 2-3 persons
- Due to the divider feature, you can get a separate living room and bedroom
- Bug mesh in front of all windows and doors allow for proper ventilation
- A removable rainfly reveals a nice “skylight” made of bug mesh
- Floor is made of durable polyethylene
- Sets up in just 60 seconds
E-Z UP Camping Cube 6.4 Tent
- Square design provides a functional indoor space
- Has a special opening for pets to get in and out
- Frame required – compatible with this frame
The E-Z UP Camping Cube 6.4 is an add-on to the straight-legged frames designed and sold by the same brand.
It’s a very neat modular built tent, that will get you settled in a full time living within minutes.
Because of the cube design it’s very spacious on the inside, and feels very much like a regular home. You can place a large bed inside, and still have plenty of space to your belongings.
- Dimensions 10 x 10 feet
- Camping Cube 6.4 Outdoor is an add-on to EZ-UP straight-leg frames (available on Amazon – follow the link above)
- Walls are completely vertical and have windows with built-in bug mesh
- #10 heavy-duty zippers
- O-ring attachment points inside for hanging storage
- Power pocket for cords
- Large entrance
- Pet portal allows cats and dogs to enter and leave on their own
- Multiple storage pouches on the walls
What we like
- Nice and spacious on the inside
- 6’4″ height enables most people to stand upright
- Looks and feels like a small cabin
- Comes in different colors
- Super easy to set up and take down
- Because it’s a modular build, you get to decide what kind of frame and roof you want
Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe
- Robust construction
- Tall 6’6″ ceiling
- Fits up to 8 people
- Large opening and canopy
Kodiak Canvas is in for its premium rugged and long-lasting tents for camping. And, the Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe is no exception. This tent features an all.canvas fabric on a flexible bow frame.
It holds up against moderate snowfall, rain, and strong winds. It is a spacious stay, that will make your tent-home comfortable.
- Dimensions 10 x 14 feet
- Weight 79 lbs
- Ceiling height 6’6″
- Stainless steel wire stake loops
- A front and back D-shaped doors
- Four large windows
- #10 YKK zippers
- 84 inches by 78 inches awning
- 100% cotton duck canvas material
- Flex-bow frame
- Ample organizer pockets and gear loft
What we like
- Robust, breathable, waterproof
- A stable frame that sets up with ease
- The high ceiling allows for a comfortable walk-around
- Spacious awning keeps off direct sunlight and strong winds
- Has pockets and gear loft to keep you organized
- Window with a no-see through mesh for privacy
- Uses funnel-flow vents for optimal heat and air circulation
- Accommodates eight people
- Has optional vestibules, ground tarp, and a floor liner
Coleman WeatherMaster With Screen Room
- Spacious screened-off lounge area
- Fits two queen beds
- Large door openings
Are you starting on a full-time tent home and want an affordable option?
Consider the Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent that comes with a screen room. It is a dome-shaped polyester bug-proof tent.
The tent stands on robust 19 millimeter steel poles, and features many reinforcements to make it safe for an extended outdoor stay.
- Dimensions 11 x 9 feet
- Weight 32 pounds
- Ceiling height 6’8″
- Weather-resistant polyester fabric for its fly and inner tent
- Coleman’s WeatherTec System
- 1,000-denier polythene floor
- Floor-less screened room
- Hinged doors for easy exit and entry
- E-port for your power supply
- Convenient rip-strip carry bags, separate stakes, and pole bags
What we like
- Fits 2 queen-size airbeds
- 6’8″ center height enables you to stand upright
- Has ample storage pockets to keep you organized
- Includes welded water-resistant floors
- Uses a leak-free Velcro frame and inverted floor seams
- It is a bug-proof and weather-resistant design
- Uses zipper cuffs on the door sections
- Uses an all-mesh ceiling, angled windows, and adjustable airflow vents for most ventilation
- Uses color-coded poles for easy setup
- Weighs 32 pounds, which is less than other similar tents
- Available for six or ten occupants
- Ideal for cooking, relaxing and keeping your valuables
Care and Maintenance for Your Tent
- Place your tent at a dry or well-drained area to prevent canvas rot. The rot is due to the tent resting on moist ground, precipitation, or dew moisture. Opt for gravel, sand, or slated wood platform as your foundation.
- When setting up your tent in a dark, humid area, aerate it every day. Ensure it receives at least three to four hours of sunlight every day.
- Cut your tent’s exposure to UV damage. Hence, set it up in areas with only a few hours of sunlight per day.
Who Needs a Tent for Full Time Living?
Granted: Living in a tent full time isn’t for everyone. There might be situations where it’s your only option though, maybe you’re in urgent need of additional accommodation, or you simply want to scale down on living costs to make the most out of your money.
Below we’ll go through some of the common situations where tents are an attractive way of living:
1. When you want to live in a cheaper yet comfortable way
Are you having a hard time keeping up with the cost of living? The easiest way to cut down on your living expenses is by moving to a tented stay. Such a tent will get you through the harsh summer days, and some are even capable of taking you through the cold winter months too. With a few camping accessories to keep it warm, your winters will be quite cozy. Such a move will cut your rental costs and other utilities, so you can work less hours and have time for other things in your life.
The Gym Trick: Hot Showers, Stable WiFi, Proper Workouts
But, what if you long for your home experience but have no alternative but to live in a tent? Then, you can link up with your local gym. For a membership to a gym guarantees you hot showers, access to internet, and a few other amenities to keep you occupied and sane. You can use all these facilities as you operate from your tent.
2. Anyone looking for a challenge
Can you survive on a tented stay away from your home comforts? Yes.
Often, we want to test our limits as we prepare for a future event. For example, you could be planning to travel to remote areas with limited facilities.
Hence, you want to test it out from the comfort of your home. In turn, you’ll expect any challenges awaiting you and make adequate plans to deal with them.
3. It is your way of living an eco-friendly lifestyle
Tented living has minimal carbon impact on the ecosystem. More so, when you use a full time tent put together using organic or repurposed/recycled materials.
So, if you were at a loss on how to reduce your carbon footprint, here is an affordable and efficient solution for you.
Tents don’t require paint, insulation, and there’s no need to mow the lawns and maintain the plants – let everything grow on its own, and embrace the nature you’re living in and living off.
4. For anyone seeking a forest bathing
Forest bathing is about taking leisure walks in the forest to get some health benefits. Indeed, research suggests that plants emit Phyntoncides as a way of protecting themselves.
These substances also help to reduce stress, high blood pressure, and other ailments.
So, put up a tent for full time living deep in the woods. Then, take these nature walks every day as you go for your house supplies.
Keep your food fresh: If you wonder how to keep your food cold, here’s the short answer: A cooler. You need one. It will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle while on the road, or camping full time in the nature.
Whether you’re going through a non-voluntary transition or made a conscious choice of scaling down, full-time tent living can definitely be a fulfilling experience.
It is a great way to get on touch with nature, find your inner peace, and harvest the many benefits of breathing fresh air and reducing the pace of daily life.
Once you’re settled in, you may even realize how much you’ve missed throughout the years, and start noticing things that you’ve completely forgotten. Little things might all of a sudden make sense once again.
Living full time in a tent surely takes away the many distractions of a big house with a mortgage, cars, maintenance, bills, and all those other duties that will keep you chained to the treadmill for years on end!